Are you looking for a job in Richmond, VA? You don’t need to be a job search expert or the top performer in your field to get the job that fits your goals and aspirations. With the right attitude and effort, anyone can unlock their dream job in Richmond! In this blog article, we’ll discuss four simple things you can do today to start improving your job prospects. By taking the steps outlined below, you’ll be well on your way to setting yourself up for success!
1. Reach out for feedback. Ask your mentors, peers, and colleagues what they think of your resume and job search tactics so far and how you could improve them. Oftentimes people are willing to give honest feedback which can help you make better decisions about where to focus your energy when searching for jobs in Richmond.
2. Take advantage of online resources. There are numerous online resources available that can help you find and apply for jobs in the area quickly and easily. From LinkedIn groups to job boards such as RichmondHires.com – take a look at what’s out there and determine which options can be most beneficial for you.
Here are a few LinkedIn groups or pages devoted to local jobs:
- IT Careers in Richmond, VA (3,242 Members)
- Greater Richmond Partnership Intern Network (19 Members)
- Jobs in Richmond (34 Members)
- RVA Creatives (747 Members)
- RVA – Social Distancing Employment Assistance (336 Members)
- Young Nonprofit Professionals Network – Richmond (YNPN RVA) (223 Members)
- RVA NOW – (ChamberRVA Program for Recent Graduates)
(Please leave a comment if you have additions to this list!)
3. Start networking! Make sure to reach out to local professionals in the Richmond area and build relationships with people who can help you land a job. Attend events, join meetups, or even just connect with new people via social media – your network is key when looking for jobs in Richmond.
In a recent interview with Dan Imbody of RVA Resumes and Recruiting, Imbody suggested connecting with people on LinkedIn who work at a company you’re thinking of applying to and asking questions about what it’s like to work there. The information could prove valuable for deciding whether to apply and the connections could be the key to landing the job.
4. Read Unlock Your Dream Job: RVA Insider Secrets to Crafting a Winning Resume for six top tips shared by Imbody in our interview. Imbody reveals a secret about how big companies review applicants and what resume features and formatting you need to get noticed, get interviewed, and get hired.
No matter what stage you’re at in your job search, taking advantage of feedback, online resources, and networking opportunities can help you get closer to achieving the career success that you desire. With an understanding of how big companies review applicants and insights on crafting a winning resume, anyone can unlock their dream job in Richmond!